Borrowing....

Do your kids have a hard time with subtracting larger numbers when a zero is involved?


Problems like this makes my kiddos nuts!  I have finally figured out a simpler way to help them subtract
accurately without any "magic" numbers showing up!  Maybe you all have already figured this out, but just incase there are others who were struggling with this as I have been, I thought I would share a teaching strategy.

My kids know they need to borrow from the zero, but they cannot figure out how or what number that silly zero turns into.  I started asking my kids to look at the next number beside the zero and make it a double digit number.  In this case, we would look at 30 instead of just 0.  Then, I ask my kids, "What number comes just before 30?"  It takes some of them a few seconds to think of the answer, but they can count backward and figure out that 29 comes just before 30.  So we cross out 30, make it a 29, and add the "1" in front of the number in the one's place.
So simple!  The kids get it, remember it, and are using it without prompting!!  I hope this helps some of your struggling kiddos!
 You can find more great teaching tips from Charity at the OC Blog here! 
Photobucket
 
Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

gadget,technology,gizmos,information,tips and tricks,apk,apps,mobile,messenger,device,android,hi tech gadgets,electronic gadgets,gadget gifts,gadget gizmos,spy gadgets,gadget for men,best gadgets,Mac,PC,Microsoft,HP, AT,Blackberry,Symbian,RIM,Samsung,Nokia,Apple,Casio,Asus,Acer,Linux,Windows,pocketPC,Compaq,wireless, Vodafone,T-Mobile,Telstra,Gigabyte,Toshiba,Siemens,Sony,Ericsson,solar gadget gadget,technology,gizmos,information,tips and tricks,apk,apps,mobile,messenger,device,android,hi tech gadgets,electronic gadgets,gadget gifts,gadget gizmos,spy gadgets,gadget for men,best gadgets,Mac,PC,Microsoft,HP, AT,Blackberry,Symbian,RIM,Samsung,Nokia,Apple,Casio,Asus,Acer,Linux,Windows,pocketPC,Compaq,wireless, Vodafone,T-Mobile,Telstra,Gigabyte,Toshiba,Siemens,Sony,Ericsson,solar gadget